Monday, January 4, 2016

Low Calorie Baked Reuben Dip

Michael Scott said it best when he said, "I'm not superstitious but I might be a little stitious". 

One of these superstitions is to eat sauerkraut on New Years Day which has always posed a challenge for me as I'm not a huge fan of sauerkraut.  I was determined to keep that bad karma away with a good tasting, low calorie sauerkraut option.  My old roommate and I made a reuben dip every year with a ton of cheese and Thousand Island dressing (aka ton of calories) that was very delicious but this dip doesn't coincide with the health and fitness goals I have set out for myself in the new year.  I wanted to recreate the recipe to have the great taste without all the calories and most importantly.... still tone down the taste of the sauerkraut!

I started my recipe by using two healthier substitutions:



Protein... check!
Zero calorie dressing... check!

The rest was so easy to put together... reduce the amount of cheese and increase the corned beef to increase the flavor!

Low Calorie Baked Reuben Dip

Ingredients:

4 oz. Greek cream cheese softened
1/4 cup Walden Farms Thousand Island Dressing
6 oz. corned beef, chopped
2 cups well drained sauerkraut 
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
About 2 Tablespoons parsley to garnish

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix together cream cheese and dressing in medium bowl until well combined and creamy.  Next add in corned beef and sauerkraut.
3. Spread the mixture in a shallow baking dish or casserole dish. Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for 20 minutes.  Option to broil for 1-2 minutes at the end to brown the cheese
4. Remove from oven and garnish with parley

Serve with pumpernickel bread or rye crackers... good with veggies as well!



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment